Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

I've been going through a bit of a pumpkin phase lately now that fall is here (is there such a thing as fall in San Diego though???). I LOVE pumpkin spice lattes! And I bought a bag of pumpkin spice hershey kisses too! So when I found this recipe online I had to give it a chance. I know it sounds like an interesting combination, but I didn't let that scare me away.

I made this for dinner last night, and although our weather isn't exactly "chili weather" at the moment Rick and I both enjoyed this! The pumpkin flavor was there, but it was very subtle. While we both agreed that we prefer the other chili recipe I use, this one will for sure be a keeper. We finished every last bite! Which is always a good sign :)

The changes I made to this recipe were to use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree as I couldn't find any at the store. I also added some beans and cumin as those are pretty essential to chili. I added one can of chicken broth, which I feel is necessary. Although chili is meant to be thick and hearty it probably would have been too thick without the chicken broth.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS

  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in tomatoes and pumpkin. Season with chili powder, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve topped with Cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Nutritional Information
Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 303

  • Total Fat: 18.1g
  • Cholesterol: 76mg
  • Sodium: 336mg
  • Total Carbs: 14.9g
  • Dietary Fiber: 5.7g
  • Protein: 21.3g




No comments:

Post a Comment