Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cowles Mountain



One of our favorite things to do is to spend time outside, especially going on hikes. However a lot of times Rick and I will go walking at Lake Murray. It's one of our favorite places... a nice easy walk, and there are lots of ducks there that we feed. As much as we love it though I thought it'd be good to challenge ourselves a bit and to go on some "new" hikes.

So today we decided to tackle Cowles Mountain. It is part of Mission Trails (so is lake murray), and is a very popular trail. I've heard a lot of my co-workers talk about it, and after looking it up online I decided it'd be a fun one to try. Although we left pretty early for our hike it was warm, almost bordering on hot. And while I'm not a stellar athlete by any means, I do consider myself to be in pretty decent shape. This hike was just what I was looking for. I actually found it to be challenging. The trail was nice thanks to the amount of traffic it gets. But the hike was all up hill and with the sun beating down felt a bit intense. I'm proud to say we made it all the way to the top 1,500 ft high. It was obvious that the view would have been amazing, had there not been so much haze from a nearby fire. We were able to see the immidate surrounding area well, including Lake Murray. We had a hazy view of downtown San Diego in the distance, and couldn't see much beyond that do to the smoke.

All in all it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning, and we both feel like we got a nice workout. Here's hoping that I'll be sore tomorrow :)



No comments:

Post a Comment