Saturday, April 17, 2010

#37 Take a Self Defense Class

The timing of me taking this class couldn't have been any better considering April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Rick found out about this rape prevention/self defense seminar through a co-worker who takes Krav Maga. Knowing that I was looking for a self defense class to take for my project he signed me right up.

The course was a 3.5 hour course and was filled with women of all ages. It was sold out and there was about 30-40 women there. There was a bit of lecture time by a police officer where I learned that 1 in 3 women is a victim of sexual assault. I had no idea that the rates were that high. One of the biggest things that attackers have said is that the women do not fight back. For someone who does fight back the chances of survival are obviously much, much higher. Another really important point I learned was just how important it is to trust our instinct. We all know this right? But I've never heard it from this perspective before-- Animals trust their instinct completely. If they feel threatened they attack. As humans we are the only species to rationalize things. Instead of acting on instinct we make excuses and try to rationalize someone's behavior.

There's only so much you can be taught in 3 hours, but the instructors gave us all the basic tools to be able to protect our self from an attacker. We had to buddy up and practice all of the combatives (which included hammer hits, kicks, gouges, etc.). We also had scenarios that we had to act out with the instructors. The first scenario was using our "bad dog voice" (think of the way you'd discipline your dog... you wouldn't say it with a smile-- you'd be assertive). This was actually a bit tough for me, anyone who knows me knows that I don't have a "bad dog voice"...lol. Dodger and Cali totally know that too. But I tried and I did it. The second scenario we actually had to put everything together and fight off an attack from one of the instructors who was in a padded suit. It was intense. Especially since someone in the class had been a victim of sexual assault. The raw emotion was overwhelming and my heart broke for her. Everyone felt that...there were many who were crying with her. But the staff and all of the participants were incredibly supportive and we all celebrated with her as she finished her turn.

Overall it was an absolutely amazing experience. I was really, really nervous about attending. Especially since I went by myself. But I had a great time and I am soo soo glad I stepped out of my comfort zone to do this. Even though my hand is starting to swell and feels achy I can't wait to show Rick what I learned. I would highly suggest that all women take the time to attend something like this. The information is invaluable and it's one of the best things you can do for yourself. I think this will be a yearly thing for me.

1 comment:

  1. Can Not Express in words, just how important self defense can be to the survival of young women!! San Diego was in the eyes of the world because of the loss of two young women that succumbed to the evil of another human being! So, proud that you took this class, KudOs to Rick, for caring enough about you to bring upon himself to look into the class! Hope you continue to focus your life and your goals the way you have Celeste, you are an amazing young woman!

    ReplyDelete