Friday, April 30, 2010

#32 Get a Bike


My husband is amazing for so many reasons. One of the coolest things about him is just how supportive and understanding he is of me. He has been one of my biggest fans through this whole blog adventure I'm on and is always excited to help me work on it. Our one year wedding anniversary is tomorrow and I was lucky enough to come home and find a pretty pink cruiser with a big pink ribbon on it for me! He knew I'd been wanting a bike for a while, but I just hadn't made it a priority.

We went to one of our favorite outdoor spots to enjoy a day in the sun. It's been years since I've ridden a bike. Like probably elementary school. I know the expression "It's like riding a bike" is pretty popular but I'm not sure just how accurate it is. I didn't forget how to ride, I was just pretty rusty. Which is probably an understatement. I attempted to ride around the parking lot a bit and finally found some balance. So off I went towards the track around the lake. I was off to a pretty good start until Rick got a little too close and this other guy came up behind me on his bike. I got nervous, which caused me to panic. I tried to stop, but didn't think about using the brake. Instead I tried to plant my feet on the ground. I guess my bike didn't get the memo because it continued to keep moving until I hit the dirt and crashed with my nice, new shiny bike. I have to admit, it hurt, both my body and my pride. My initial reaction was to cry and go home and call it a day, but I put on that brave face I know so well and sucked it up. It's really the only way to deal with anything that life gives you, yes it hurt, yes I was scared to get back on and fall down again, but I'm not going to let fear stop me from living and enjoying life. All you can do is get back up and try to enjoy the ride.

And I did. We finished the whole track for a total of 6 miles. :)

3 comments:

  1. You are such a Brave Young WoMan,,,Yeeesss,,You take that Shiny New Bike By The HorNs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable picture, what a sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete