Monday, November 8, 2010

Velvety Pumpkin Soup with blue cheese and bacon




It's finally starting to feel like fall in San Diego, and I couldn't be happier as it only encourages my slight obsession with all things pumpkin (especially pumpkin spice lattes, yum!). I found this recipe online and was a little unsure. I've never had a pumpkin soup before but after reading the reviews I thought "why not?!". I followed the recipe almost exactly, except I subbed green onions for shallots and I used brown sugar instead of molasses. Overall we enjoyed the soup very much. I will say it was a little different at first and it took me a couple of spoonfuls before deciding just how much I liked it. We ate it with flaky pillsbury layers biscuits which I'd say is a must! Soo tasty and we ate it again the next night for dinner as well which I'd say makes it safe to say it was good :)

Ingredients

  • 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1 cup crumbled blue cheese

Directions

  1. Stir together the pumpkin, chicken stock, half-and-half, shallot, molasses, butter, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large stockpot over low heat; simmer 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook until crispy; remove to paper towels to drain, then cool and crumble.
  3. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with bacon and blue cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 420 | Total Fat: 31.9g | Cholesterol: 61mg

No comments:

Post a Comment