Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A day off of work

lead to a fun afternoon with my hubby and a wonderful way to celebrate our 10 month wedding anniversary. We also decided to take advantage of that time together on a work day to do activities that would count towards my blog (and for Rick's Spanish class --he has to do 3 cultural activities.) I love opportunities to knock out multiple things at once.


I'm a big fan of Bobby Flay and I love his throwdown show on food network. So when I heard a commercial on the radio for Mama Testa's I was sold. Apparently Bobby Flay challenged the owner to a fish taco throwdown. I never saw that episode, so I don't know the outcome--but still Bobby Flay was there :) So we made it our mission to find it, took the risk of parking in a McDonald's parking lot as there were no open spaces and made our way inside. I gotta say we weren't overly impressed. The website gave the feel of a restaurant, while the place was more like a taco shop. I struggled with that and feel that Mama Testa's may have some sort of identity crisis going on. The chalk board menu was really hard to read and neither Rick or I could find the fish tacos. Darn it! That was the whole reason we went. So Rick had some carne asada tacos, and I had this dish that had rolled tacos swimming in a bowl of broth. It was good, but nothing to write home about. We left there filling full, but not satisfied. We haven't had much luck as of yet trying new restaurants for the project but I'm hoping that will change.




After that we made our way to San Diego Mission de Alcala. It is the first and oldest of the CA missions. And even though we do mission projects in the 4th grade out here I had never been (I had a different mission for my project though). You enter the ground through the gift shop where they ask for a suggested donation. It's a very fair price to pay for a couple of hours enjoyment. It was so much fun walking around the grounds with Rick. He read the guide and summarized all the important things for me. Then we walked and admired the architecture, the beauty, and the history that the missions played in CA and Catholicism (really even in Christianity). When I see a piece of history like that I just can't help being overwhelmed. I think it's such a cool and humbling feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment